Our proprietary plating technique is what allows our jewelry to rival the beauty of fine jewelry while using semiprecious metals. We'll go into more detail below, but first!
What Base Metals do We Use?
We only use hypoallergenic metals, that mean no nickel and green fingers, yay! Our pieces are either brass based or .925 sterling silver.
How We Make High Quality Brass Rings Than Anyone Else
Common semiprecious metals used in jewelry include nickel, copper, iron, aluminum, titanium, and brass. We tested them all to see how each oxidized/tarnished, their durability, and which metals worked best on most skin ph levels. We ultimately landed on brass but...
Don't be fooled, all brass is not created equal. It can vary in quality & composition as it's comprised of copper & zinc (but can also include lead & nickel which many other companies use, eeekkk!) We purely use a copper & zinc blend and a very specific ratio that we invested a lot of R&D into.
Semiprecious metals are vulnerable to oxidation/tarnishing. While our brass quality is tested to last, we take one more step for longevity. Our jewelers are all taught an advanced sealing technique for extra protection from oxidation before we plate every ring.
3x Dipped in 14k Gold - Heavy Gold Plating
The average plated jewelry has 0.5 micron thickness of gold in order to cut costs. We tested various micron thickness levels and found that the industry average is so delicate that it often wears off right away.
We crafted a process using 3 different types of plating, which is why we call it 3x dipped. Each round is a different process that serves a specific purpose, with the final round as an advanced sealing technique for extra protection. Every Oomiay piece is heavy gold plated with at least 2.5 microns of high quality 14k gold, making it well over 5x the industry average!
Is All 14k Gold the Same?
Nope! 14 karat gold means 14/24 (58.3%) of the metal is gold. The remaining 41.7% of the metal has various alloy metals. White gold & rose gold will have different alloy mixes to get their color.
Nickel is a cheap alloy commonly used in gold plating that is a major culprit for skin allergies and/or green fingers. And that's why our metal blend does not contain any nickel :)
We always ensure our 14k gold is of the highest quality, always testing the best alloy mixes for beauty, shine, and longevity.
.925 Sterling Silver & Gold Vermeil Pieces
While we truly adore our brass pieces, we wanted another option for customers that prefer silver. Plus silver is a beautiful metal to work!
Gold vermeil are pieces that have a .925 sterling silver base with a jewelry industry requirement of at least 2.5 microns of 10k or higher gold plating.
We use our same proprietary 3x dipped in 14k gold plating technique on all our vermeil pieces as well.
Don't Forget About Proper Jewelry Care
No matter what, plating will always wear off eventually. Fine jewelry is the highest quality for a reason. Our plating is designed to last longer than any other plating available, but it isn't designed to last forever.
Your own jewelry care is a major factor in how long the plating will last. Our team of elite jewelers have put together the best jewelry care tips for any plated jewelry HERE